Showing posts from 2018

March goal

I'm linking up with March's One monthly   I'm still making really good progress on Common Bride.  Since posting for the February finish the other day, I’ve added the feathered star to the centre 8 pointed star and the baskets have been added and are ready for appliqué.  Since I took this photo, I've fixed the orientation of the baskets and sewn the baskets to the centre.  I'll prep the appliqué this week.  The goal for March is to finish the appliqué in the centre and then to add the 8 pointed stars border to the centre so I'll need to sort out what order I want those star blocks in around the edge.

Helen Anne

Lots of Stars!

Last weekend, I went to a guild retreat.  There were 26 of us spending the weekend away enjoying stitching away and chatting.  It was a wonderful weekend and I'm so pleased in everything I accomplished.

About five years ago I purchased some fabric to make a one block wonder quilt.  About four years ago one of the guild workshops was a One Block Wonder class with Maggie Butterfield Dickenson.  Two years ago, I finished making all the hexagons for the quilt.  Last year I did very little quilting.  This year I decided the top needed to be finished.  I finally put it up on the design wall several months ago and start to move the blocks around.  I didn't have enough of the original fabric to do a border so decided to include the original fabric in the center of the quilt.  I spent last week sewing columns together then packed everything up to take to the retreat.  I stopped at Len's Mills on the way to look for a fabric to look for a border and found a very nice batik to compl…

Stitching Stars

Today I’m working on stitching star blocks for Common Bride.  The seems are 1.5 inches long and need to stop and start 1/4 inch from the edge so I find them easier to hand piece ... at least until I get to the final corner pieces which can go side to side.  I need 25 of these.  Today I finished 2 more up to  needing the final corner and have two more to work on after my walk

I need to cut and mark more diamonds to make the centres and edges.   Many of the four patches have their corners marked but there are still a few handfuls that need their dots.  So that will also be for after my walk so that I can have something in my purse for handwork his week.

Once the four patches are added, more diamonds surround the outside.  I’m using a simple running stitch on the pencil line of the diamond aligning the edges.  Every few stitches I take a back stitch to help secure the line of stitches and usually remember to tie a small knot at the end of the diamond before adding the next one

One star …

February One Monthly Goal

I'm still working away at the blocks for Common Bride.  I need 25 of the stars.  I have 8 up to needing corners and 4 more in progress.  The quilt also needs 304 half square triangle blocks.  I've sewn these and split the squares but they need to be pressed and trimmed.

My goal will be to get 12 more star blocks up to needing corners and to press and trim at least half of the half square triangles.  The stretch goal will be to get all the stars completed (including corners) and to press and trim all the half square triangles.

Linking up with Patty's OMG at Elm Street quilts

January One Monthly Goal results

A very successful month. Both quilts are bound and labeled.

I was surprised to find that there wasn't binding already made for the mystery quilt but that was quickly fixed. I was a bit concerned when adding the binding to the mystery quilt because I started to run short. Fortunately there was just enough
I also made good progress on the stars. Three are ready to be pressed and the corners add. The fourth needs two more diamonds added to the outer ring.  These are hand pieced up to this point because the seams are so short I find it easier than using the machine.  I'll add the corner pieces by machine I think.  I also have the half square triangles made and ready to be pressed and trimmed for this quilt.

I'm linking up with OMG over at Elm Street Quilts

January One Monthly Goal

I didn't do much stitching the last half of last year but I did eventually finish the rug that was my One Monthly Goal in June (the last time I participated).

In December, I quilted two tops.  A gravity quilt and the guild BOM top.

My goal is to get them both trimmed and bound.  I'd like to be able to take them for Show and Tell and the next guild meeting.

I'm also working on piecing the stars for Common Bride.  Since the diamonds are so small, I'm doing the first part by hand.  The diamonds are in my purse so I can work on them when I'm out.  Four are to the point that they need the corner triangles.  The next 4 are in progress.  Getting these to the point they need corner triangles this month would be a bonus.

Joining up with Patty's One Monthly Goal