Grand illusion completed !

In April I finished my 2014 Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt Grand Illusion top after a delay of several years.  I didn't like the greens I'd used for the sashing originally -- it made for a very busy quilt top.  If you look at the top right you can see the original checker boards on the quilt.  I found that without the contrast in value, the block and sashing became one and I preferred to be able to see the block more.  The dark checker boards are now in my stack of orphan blocks and will find a home in a future project.  



This year I re-made those squares and assembled the top.  Then in June I booked an appointment to go quilt it at Whirls 'n Swirls.  The binding, sleeve and label got attached and its been waiting for me to finish the hand sewing.  Tuesday started as a rainy day so I put on some programs I had recorded, put the quilt on a TV tray (its too hot to hold a quilt) and worked on the final hand stitching.

Stitching to Great British Sewing Bee

By lunch time the quilt was done, the sleeve attached and the label done.  Now its ready for the bed but its much too hot to sleep under a quilt so it will need to wait for a break in the weather.





Comments