Mid-Year Review

Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl is a hosting a mid-year review of our goals for this year.  So its time to look at where I am with these.  

Quilting

 1.  Clean and organize quilt room Trying this one again
        - Finish sorting the area and get rid of the things that need to be donated or thrown out.  Sorting works best when I work on just one small space at a time.  So I'll divide the area into a number of sections and plan times to sort each of those areas.  It easier than dealing with the whole room.  I was making very good progress until the end of March.  I set a schedule of at least 15 minutes a day three days a week and until the end of March achieved that.  Then stopped.  Not sure why but things are improving.  A bunch of boxes set aside for donation got delivered to either the Thrift Store or the Restore depending on the contents.  So I'm no longer tripping over them.  :)

        - Decide on layout and do the rearranging. I still have the scale drawings of the room and furniture from the Quilt University class so I've played with a few ideas and will see where I land.
this needs to wait until the sorting is done.

2.  I'm going to continue with the Motivation Monday ideas.  I've revised the 2017 list to be a new 2022 list.
  • ABC Applique - Quilt .
  • Common Bride - Quilt
  • Love Entwined - complete the vase for one corner.  Ideally all four corners but one is good and two is bonus.  Two corners are done and I've started on the third!
  • Winter Wallhanging - finish top
  • Fantastic Fusion Top -- is it a quilt or a background.  Make the chameleon and decide whether its two separate quilts or works as one.
  • Milkweed 4 - quilt
  • Abstraction Quilt - Quilt - Quilted and waiting for me to finish tying in the threads and bind it. I 
  • Moondance Quilt - complete this one - Top completed and ready to quilt.
  • Film Strip quilts  - Decide on additional border and complete
  • Panel one block wonder. - Completed the top and ready to quilt.  It was made with fat quarters I ordered from spoonflower of one of my photo art pieces.  I blogged about it here
  • Applique Blocks - Look at the box of applique blocks and decide what to do with them.




3.  I'll also look at the list of tops waiting to be quilted and get those scheduled to be done. I've been good at scheduling the next appointment before leaving the quilt studio so should be able to get most of what is marked for long arming done (assuming covid doesn't cause anymore shutdowns).  First up is the Abstraction quilt.  There are 10 quilts tagged for the long arm.  I'm behind on this one.  The last appointment got canceled due to illness and I haven't been back since.  Maybe later in the fall.  We'll see how other things go.

4.  Complete and submit my cherrywood challenge.  I have the Graffiti kit and a vague idea so need to get sketching and stitching.  My Diana quilt is travelling.  The Bob Ross quilt didn't get selected.  It would be fun to get another one selected to travel. - Completed and submitted but not selected as a finalist.  I'm pleased though.

Photography:


1.  Learn Photoshop.  Continue this.  There are two things I'd like to focus on beyond the courses that I'm working on.  One is selections and the other is lighting.  Photoshop has some pretty good selection tools to choose what you do and don't want from an image.  When I watch the demos its very straight forward and works well for a variety of trainers.  When I do it, it feels like I'm chasing a butterfly with a sledgehammer or maybe a wrecking ball.  Lighting helps the composite art look unified and believable. Need to study that more and work on it in the digital art - this is a work in progress.  The newer selection tools are helping get better selections but finessing them is still a challenge.  Also working on lighting.  I think that's improving and have found some more useful suggestions to help enhance it.  

2.  Tidy up Lightroom.  I'm working on 2013 and would like to complete 2014 and 2015 as well. That  would put under 30K to sort.  It really is baby steps but I’m getting there.  2013 is completed and I have two months left in 2014 to sort.  Slowly making progress.

Daily


1.  Continue swimming and walking.  I joined the masters swim program in the fall and that has been challenging me to improve strokes other than freestyle (front crawl).  Looking forward to seeing progress on the virtual walks and swims. This has been going well.  During one of the May swims, I had an opportunity to be filmed swimming.  It was very informative to see what I was doing in comparison to what I should be doing.  Its helping me work on corrections and I can see the improvements in my swim times.  

2.  There are about 130 miles left to complete the Bruce Trail.  Assuming things are more stable in the summer, I'd like to go and hike a bit more of this.  If it overnight stays still aren't a comfortable idea, then maybe starting some of the side trail badges on the sections closer to home will work.  

3.  Practice.  The baritone and I really need to spend more time together.  In her post about goals, Melanie mentioned a habit tracker called HabitShare which I think I'll check out.  - Again I did very well with this until the end of March.  Habit Share was very helpful especially if I paid attention to it.  It continued to nag me to accomplish the goals I had set until I turned the reminders off at the beginning of a silent retreat. 

4. Bible Studies - I do a daily devotional with a group of friends using an online app plus some studies through my church.   The place where I had gone for a silent retreat is to reopen in the spring so I'll be checking out the dates for an inperson retreat. Had the opportunity in June to go to an in person silent retreat for 8 days.  It was wonderful.  The retreat house is the Ignatius Jesuit Centre in Guelph.

Other


1.  From January to March, I'm going to work through The Artists Way with a group of ladies from the digital art (photoshop) classes.  completed.  

2.  I've slowly been working on transcribing some old diaries.  I think I have 4.5 left to do.  I'd like to get 1.5 done over the next year. - one diary is finished and the next one is started.  

Overall I'm making good progress I think.  

Comments