November OMG Progress

 Well, my main goal for the month was to get my Cherrywood Challenge quilt finished.  I'm almost there.  No photos until the new year.  The main quilting is done.  I've basted it and need to check how big it currently is.  I'd like to do a little more quilting but want to ensure I haven't shrunk it to size already.  If it is still too big, it will get a bit more quilting then I'll add the facing, label and get it submitted.  

The other thing I worked on this month was blocks from the guilds 2016/7 block of the month which was a row by row for Canada's Sesquicentennial.  The rows and blocks aren't organized here, just put up on the design wall so I can see what there is.  There are still some large blocks to make to go with the lighthouse.



This month I started to do the satin stitching around some of the applique shapes - the leaves, Inuksuk and fish.  I've been satin stitching all year on the Milkweed quilts and its been working beautifully.  I was on a zoom stitching call one afternoon and said I was giving up and going for a walk before I threw the machine -- breaking thread and skipping stitches it was terrible.  A naggy voice was telling me I needed to stabilize the piece but I hadn't used stabilizer on any of the milkweed quilts so didn't see how that could be the solution.  The walk did the trick.  During the course of the walk, I realized that the milkweed was stabilized -- there's interfacing on the background and fusible or interfacing on all the shapes so it was stabilized.  The next time I sat down to stitch on the blocks, I put something behind the block to stabilize it and the stitching went much better.  The thread did break once or twice over the course of several hours but it had been breaking every 5 minutes or so so I was happy.  There were also no skipped stitches.  Moral of the tale:  Listen to the naggy little voice that tells you things.


In honour of 2020 and the Inuksuk that I saw at the waterfront this summer, one of my two Inuksuk is sporting a mask. 

Hopefully next month, the remaining satin stitching will proceed a little easier.

Joining up with Patty's OMG Finish


Comments

  1. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I do try to respond to comments.