Binding Inner Corners

Last weekend Karen and I went to Whirls and Swirls and quilted two of Mom's quilt tops.  One was a Judy Laquidara pattern called Note to Self and the other was a string quilt.
Note to Self
String Quilt

 The string quilt was made to fold neatly over the corner of the bed so there are two inside corners to bind.  That's not something I had ever done before so I did some google searches, looked at several websites then took a piece of the cut off from one of the quilts, cut out a corner and grabbed a scrap of binding that was sitting on the table.

Before beginning clip the corner at a 45 degree angle part way through the seam allowance.  I'm working with binding that will finish at a half inch so I clipped perhaps 3/8 of an inch.  You can see the clip open in the second photo.

I forgot to get a photo of the first part when I did the trial with the scraps.  Stitch the binding along the edge leading in to the corner like usual.  When you start to get close to the corner stop and put a pin in to mark a half inch from both edges.  (I'm working with binding that will be a half inch). 


Once you get to the pin, stop with the needle down. Pull the edge of the quilt that doesn't have binding yet towards you. The snip will open up. Align your binding and continue sewing. Pulled open, it will look like this after sewing.

Once finished stitching all the way around, it looks like this when you let the edges rest the way they are designed. 

Smooth the binding towards the outside of the quilt. It should want to fold into a nice mitre.

Pull it around to the back. It continues to want to fold into a nice mitre. I actually found it went around this corner easier than the outer corner. Whether that was beginners luck or that is true of inner corners in general I'm not sure but I was really pleased. Below are front and back views of the practice piece.













The binding is now machine stitched on both quilts. Need to prepare labels and a sleeve for Note to Self. Then its on to handstitching the bindings.

Editted:  Forgot to add that I'm linking up to quilting tips at Quilting Jetgirl

Comments

  1. Great tutorial and the photos help immensely. Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I do try to respond to comments.