The guild speaker and workshop teacher this month was Al Cote. The class was on making a quilted rug. On Saturday we layered up the fabrics and trimmed it down to the size of the batting. Did some doodling then stitched lines and started removing fabric. I meant to take a photo before I started the removal process but forgot. So this is taken after the first round of removing fabrics and part way through the second round.
Near the end of the afternoon he had everyone put their project down on the floor for admiring. It was a fun day and we certainly had a great collection of rugs in progress. It was a really fun day. Karen came too so it was even better because I got to stitch with my sister.
The next day I continued removing fabric stopping every once in a while to throw it on the floor and look at it to see how it was looking.
By the end of Sunday, this is how it looked. I still have a few pieces to remove before continuing with the quilting and final steps.
Today I went for a hike on the Bruce Trail following the Spencer Creek Gorge trail. It took about 3 hours to walk around the loop (6.2KM). Filled the drinking bladder which worked really well but ran out near the end of the trail.
The trail starts with a view of Tews Falls. The falls are 41m high -- Niagara Falls are 50m high. The current here is no where near what the current at Niagara is though as I saw a family wading at the top of the falls only a few feet from the edge!
Found this little guy crawling along the side of some steps so played with the macro setting on the camera:
This is the first of many sets of stairs on the walk...
The trail is really well marked. The white blazes are the main trail and the blue ones are a side trail. This pole says the main trail goes straight forward and a side trail turns left.
I went down the side trail. There were a number of little butterflies enjoying the flowers. I'm still playing with the macro setting on the camera.…
This years $10 quilt reveal at Cockadoodle Quilt Shop was yesterday (Dec 15th) and this time my quilt was actually quilted and a lot of the embellishments added. This means the count of finished $10 quilts is now three (OK it still needs a sleeve and label but those are ready to go).
The pattern was O Tannenbaum by Hilary Gooding. The quilt as you go went reasonably well although I didn't read the instructions for the joining strip between the centre and borders and assumed I knew how to join them. Had to change the way I was going to join the borders and centre. It worked OK in the end.
The corner stars were originally done as light stars since but when I put them up I didn't really like them in either position -- beige in or green in. They are too light in comparison to the rest of the quilt.
So printed out new paper templates and made darker stars which I like much better.
A couple of trips to Micheal's for embellishments finally yielded the right things for the tr…