February Quilting Goal review

Its been a very productive month in my quilting world.  I did get out to the long arm studio and got the first half of my quilt done.  Decided to do match stick quilting in the background and circles in the design part.  The match stick quilting is done but it was getting on and I was getting very tired so I'll take the quilt back next month to finish.  Should be faster (I hope).  The threads are all buried for the background.  I do need to clear the cutting table, trim the excess batting and mark the general outline of what I want to quilt in the middle.  

I joined an Out of the Box class.  Our first month was to play with any form of log cabin blocks in our favourite colour.  These are my left over half log cabin blocks from Longtime Gone.  I replaced them with different variations.  These got sewn together, cut like a disappearing 4 patch and the middle sections switched around and re-sewn.  Some of the seams were interesting - the logs are small so in some places there are seams in the seams but as a play piece it was good.


Love entwined has been my handwork during zoom calls since I finished Moondance.  Vase 1 is finally finished!  I'm so pleased with this.  There are 4 vases in total.  The second vase and its stems are stitched already.  

My Rainbow Scrappy Aqua and teal blocks are all done.  I'd missed cutting half a block so cut the pieces to make it and managed to cut a whole block instead of a half.  So I still have a stray half block.  I may stop and make the other half block.  These go with the red ones from last month and will wait a bit for me to figure out what I'm doing for a layout.  Most of these had to be resewn.  When I went to add the largest square, I discovered I had the small aqua blocks on the diagonal instead of the white.  Fortunately it was an easy fix.  They were a good ender and leader for my Winter Lace quilts.  I'm looking forward to next month's colour which appears to be yellow and gold -- probably the scrap box with the least amount in it.  We'll have to see how I do with that.

I've made really good progress on the Winter Lace quilts.  This is all the components done last night except some of the squat geese blocks which were waiting to be pressed.  Today I've stitched all of the block components into their nine patches and have more blocks completed.  The squat geese in the upper right corner are part of the border.  

These is a selection of the blocks for the two quilts.  There are 6 shown for one quilt and 12 for the other randomly pinned on top.  Some of the blocks need a good pressing after being stored in the box for a long time.  I actually do have 6 more blocks for the left hand quilt stitched tonight and the last 8 for each quilt both just need their final two seams.  This is proceeding so much faster than I expected it two.  I'll need more than tomorrow to finish the two quilt tops but I don't think it will be much longer before they both join the to be quilted pile.  Pretty quick for something languishing in the UFO pile for over 25 years.


 I have been very tempted this month to set these two aside to work on two other piecing projects but I've resisted the temptation for fear these would go back in the box and not come out for another 20 years.  Soon I'll be able to pick something else to play with.  In the meantime I'm enjoying these two quilts.  The hardest part has been making sure the components all end up in the correct piles for the colouring.  I was thankful for the completed blocks as models for which colourings went where.  A few more notes would have been useful but a lot of the components had been pinned into appropriate groups.

Linking up with Patty's Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - February Finish Link-up and the SoScrappy's Rainbow Challenge Post 

Comments