Photos and notes about quilting, hiking and drawing.
Ready to stitch
I taped the centre section of the pattern together yesterday. Then I started to lay out all the bits that I had prepared for the last month. Now it is ready to be stitched. Still have to make the zigzag parts though.
The guild speaker and workshop teacher this month was Al Cote. The class was on making a quilted rug. On Saturday we layered up the fabrics and trimmed it down to the size of the batting. Did some doodling then stitched lines and started removing fabric. I meant to take a photo before I started the removal process but forgot. So this is taken after the first round of removing fabrics and part way through the second round.
Near the end of the afternoon he had everyone put their project down on the floor for admiring. It was a fun day and we certainly had a great collection of rugs in progress. It was a really fun day. Karen came too so it was even better because I got to stitch with my sister.
The next day I continued removing fabric stopping every once in a while to throw it on the floor and look at it to see how it was looking.
By the end of Sunday, this is how it looked. I still have a few pieces to remove before continuing with the quilting and final steps.
Last weekend, I went to a guild retreat. There were 26 of us spending the weekend away enjoying stitching away and chatting. It was a wonderful weekend and I'm so pleased in everything I accomplished.
About five years ago I purchased some fabric to make a one block wonder quilt. About four years ago one of the guild workshops was a One Block Wonder class with Maggie Butterfield Dickenson. Two years ago, I finished making all the hexagons for the quilt. Last year I did very little quilting. This year I decided the top needed to be finished. I finally put it up on the design wall several months ago and start to move the blocks around. I didn't have enough of the original fabric to do a border so decided to include the original fabric in the center of the quilt. I spent last week sewing columns together then packed everything up to take to the retreat. I stopped at Len's Mills on the way to look for a fabric to look for a border and found a very nice batik to compl…
Last Sunday I spent the day at Elaine’s for a sit ‘n sew day. I spent the morning and a bit of time after lunch making the 9 patch blocks for the flowers which are the round after the stars for this quilt. I had the half square triangles all prepared so it was a case of laying them out and stitching. In the end I ended up making a few extra half square triangles. I hadn’t used any of the blue ones and didn’t want just three of the 20 flowers with blue. I’m considering make some additional half square triangles as the next lot will be combine with a large triangle to be stylized leaves for the flowers. I’m not sure I want royal blue and sky blue leaves
After getting these done, I started to trace the appliqué pieces for the baskets. I trace onto freezer paper, cut them out and then press to the right side of the fabric. Sometimes I then trace around the freezer paper so that I don’t need to use it as I work. Some times I turn under the edges in advance but these are relatively…