Northern lights in progress

The guild chunk of the month top was finished in time for the June meeting.  Mary and Elaine did a good job of design this.  No hints as to what they have in store for us come September.  Elaine has lots of pictures from guild night on her blog here

 Late last year I read about a lady in Toronto who is organizing people to cross stitch the Torah.  We signed up and I spent some time this month stitching.  The pattern indicated to start in the bottom right of the first row.  I did stitch that row from right to left but I don't read Hebrew and found it difficult to stitch that way so I switched and started working from left to right.  Eventually I found a Hebrew/English website to help me understand what I was stitching.  My sister has the stitching now and is finishing off our section.

For this year's monthly quilt, Northern Lights, I did decide that I wanted the smaller blocks but big enough to fit my bed. Means a lot of extra blocks. I've got the blocks for the September class done and have been piecing the parts of the star blocks.  Lots of piles on the end of the cutting board to make stars.  I debated about getting the templates for this quilt but ended up getting them.  I have really enjoyed using them.  Its nice to be able to cut strips and then use the templates to get the correct shapes.  The pieces are going together really easily. 

I ran out of the brown I was using for star points. Fortunately I think I found a good go with and needed to make enough stars for one round. Need to remember to place them correctly when I get there.

I made a list of blocks to be the extras and have started creating cutting charts and piecing those.  The original list of blocks I picked didn't work because I suddenly realized the blocks all needed to have a half square triangle piece of a specific fabric to continue the pattern in the original layout. The new list will let me do that.  There are some blocks in the pattern that are left as half or quarter blocks for the borders.  I think I'll make them again as whole blocks for the centre.  These are all the assembled parts so far -- not in any particular order.

Linking up with Esther's Weekly WOW


Popular posts from this blog

Filling baskets and flower making

Bruce Trail -- Black Creek Side Trail Limehouse Conservation Area

Leaves and branches done