February 2022 One Monthly Goal

Three Goals this month

1.  Quilt my Abstraction quilt.  I have an appointment shortly to go quilt it.  The store has re-opened after the lockdown and I'll head over to quilt it.  Looking forward to that.

2. Complete the aqua / Teal blocks for my rainbow scrappy quilt.  I've cut all the components and sewn the smallest four patches.  They are ready to be ender and leaders over the month to turn into triple four patch blocks.  I have 10 prepared.  I think that will be enough. I ended up pulling out my 3 in 1 colour tool, finding the blue/green pages and as I pulled potential fabrics from the blue and green buckets held them against the card.  A lot of the fabric did come from the buckets but some came from the shelf.  If it came from the shelf, I looked for pieces that I had already cut into so that it stays scrappy not only in colour but in using up the left over fabrics.  So far none of the buckets look that much emptier. 


3. In  October 1995 the November/December Quiltmaker magazine arrived the night be the Creative Needlework festival was to begin in Toronto.  I fell in love with the Winter Lace quilt in the magazine. At the show, Mom and I shopped for fabric and I came home with enough for two quilts. 

 At the time I lived in a two bedroom apartment.  I had twin beds in the master bedroom and the second bedroom was my sewing room.  I wanted to make two winter lace quilts for my room -- in reversing colours so they were the same but different.   I sat down  figured out how much I needed to cut for each unit for each quilt and made cardboard templates.  A lot of cutting got done. 

 In 1996 I moved out of the apartment and the project sat in its box.  I've worked on it off and on over the years but never finished it.  I'd like to get it done.  There are twin beds in the spare room.  

The pattern as written is for a double bed which was part of the slow down.  I had meant to refigure it with a slightly smaller block to be good for a twin bed but forgot until a lot of sewing and cutting was done.  I looked at it again yesterday and I think if I skip the outer two borders it will be a nice size for a twin bed.  So I'm off again.  I inventoried what I have and have a good idea what needs to be done. 

 A few years ago, I made templates from a peel and stick tile.  What I found when I opened the box was some of the glue has oozed out from under the release paper.  Its stained a couple of the white pieces but only 1 or two I think.  I don't think its harmed any of the sewn pieces.  I'll remove the release paper and put regular paper on instead.  Hopefully that will stop the glue from oozing at least long enough for me to cut what needs cutting.


There were five blocks completed for one quilt and two blocks completed for the other.

Inventorying the pieces

I have enough components to sew some additional blocks but need to make a lot more of the squat flying geese.  The proportions aren't actually a flying geese but the shape reminds of one so in my notes I call them squat flying geese.  This month I would like to sew what I can then deal with the two template pieces and possibly cut the additional fabric.  The remnants of the two bolts of fabric are wrapped in plastic hiding in a corner.  Once I know everything is cut, I think there will be fabric left to join the stash.  I've carefully avoided cutting into either fabric in the bag as I wanted it for these quilts. I think all of one fabric except binding and the inner border is cut.  Looking forward to seeing this one move along.  

Linking up with Patty's One Monthly Goal here:  Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal February Link-up

Comments

  1. 2 color quilts are beautiful! Good luck with your goals! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I do try to respond to comments.